Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spiced Apple Clafouti


It's the beginning of March and flowers and rain and all that poetry related spring stuff is going to be attacking the hills with green sprouts pretty soon. Not to mention all the green shamrocks and unfortunately short men dressed in leprechaun costumes. I'm celebrating early with these very green crunchy apples. 



(One of the coolest tools in my kitchen: check it out!)




Nebulas in my egg mixture.


Really my only excuse for making this was that I needed to use the apples I had so that they wouldn't go to waste. Otherwise, this was purely to cure my baking bug (and my incessant sweet tooth). But out of my craving to bake, I think I discovered a winner. I love happy accidents. 

Ingredients (serves about 8) 
Clafouti batter based on recipe from the Flour Bakery Cookbook

-1/4 cup butter (half stick) melted, plus 1 Tablespoon
-2 apples, cored and sliced
-1/2 cup sugar (1/4 for fruit)
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
-4 eggs
-1/3 cup flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 cup milk
-1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
-1 teaspoon almond extract
-confectioners sugar for topping (optional)

Heat oven to 400°F. Swirl melted butter in a 9-by-13 inch pyrex dish.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan and add about 1 tablespoon water. Add the apple slices, 1/1 cup sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Cook on medium heat for about 5 min until the apples have lost some of their firmness and the mixture is bubbly and syrupy.

Spread fruit evenly in the 9-by-13 inch dish over the butter.

Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. In another bowl whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together. Whisk flour mixture into the egg mixture. Add milk and extracts and mix. Pour batter evenly over the apples.

Bake for 40-45min until golden brown and puffy. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve! It's best eaten the day it was made but can be covered and kept for a day more.

No comments:

Post a Comment